‘People have lost their lives. I can’t bear it’: Ethiopian taxi driver whose ‘faulty fridge started the inferno’ says he’ll ‘never get over’ how many were killed.
- Father of one, a taxi driver from Ethiopia, discovered the fire in his fourth floor kitchen ahead of blaze
- Mr Kebede banged on a neighbour’s door and alerted her to the fire, potentially saving many lives
- Tower block resident Maryam Adam said he knocked on her door to warn her at 12.50am on Tuesday night
- At 12.54am, a resident called 999 and the first engines arrived at the scene in west London within six minutes
- After 15 minutes, most of the tower was alight, 30 minutes later the building was engulfed in flames.
A friend who spoke to Behailu Kebede shortly after the tragic ordeal said the experience was ‘tearing him apart’ and that he was ‘blaming himself even though there was nothing he could do.